Don Quixote: Part II: Chapters 1-4

Don Quixote de la Mancha (Oxford World's Classics) - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Charles Jarvis, E.C. Riley

Up to page 515

Italics are what I penciled in the margins

The block quotes are quotes from the book.

Everything else are just my thoughts as I’m typing along here

Preface

In which Cervantes tells us why he wrote Part II. A rambling couple of pages of no significance.

...I know very well what the temptations of the devil are, and that one of the greatest is, the putting it into a man's head that can write and print a book, which shall procure him as much fame as money, and as much money as fame:

Ok, so the indie attitude is as least 400 years old. I give up...

Chapter 1

In which it is evident that Quixote is not better and is as loony as ever.

'That is true', quoth the priest; who being delighted to hear him talk so wildly and extravagantly,

I am getting whiplash from Quixote's friends. One minute they're super concerned and bringing him home in a bloody cage, the next they're encouraging him in his madness. Oy vey!

Chapter 2

In which Sancho reunites with Quixote and in the process of telling him what the villagers think of him, fires up Quixote's imagination. Great.

In the meantime, tell me, friend friend Sancho, what do folks say of me about the town?

Glory hound!

Chapter 3

In which a student/professor, who is a fan of Quixote's, comes to visit and they talk, inciting Quixote to go back to his Knight Errantry ways.

and historians, who are fond of venting falsehoods, should be burnt like coiners of false money.

Quixote sure changed his tune. Used to be that the books of Knight Errantry were truer than the Bible

...in order to the compiling histories, or books of any kind whatever, a man had need of a great deal of judgement and a mature understanding;

...not withstanding which, there are those, who compose books, and toss them out into the world like fritters!

Ha, sounds like Kindle Unlimited!

Chapter 4

In which Quixote is in bad company [Sancho and the Professor] and falls prey to his delusions of Knight Errantry once again.

...if this master of mine had taken my counsel, we had ere now been in the field, redressing grievances, and righting wrongs, as is the practice and usage of good knights-errant.'

Why do Quixote's friends the barber and the priest, along with Quixote's niece and housemaid, even allow Sancho into the house? The man eggs him on and with the professor, Quixote doesn't stand a chance of thinking straight.

They agreed upon this, and that they should set out eight days after. Don Quixote enjoined the bachelor to keep it secret, especially from the priest and Master Nicholas, and from his niece and housekeeper, that they might not obstruct his honourable and valorous purpose. All which Carrassco promised...

Bad company indeed!