Don Quixote: Chapters 30-32

Don Quixote de la Mancha (Oxford World's Classics) - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Charles Jarvis, E.C. Riley

Up to page 298

Italics are what I penciled in the margins

The block quotes are quotes from the book.

Everything else are just my thoughts as I’m typing along here

Chapter 30

In which Dorothea spins her tale to lure Quixote back to his village and in which Quixote and Sancho fight yet again over Sancho's promised reward.

"But, dear madam, how came you to land at Osuna?" answered Don Quixote, "since it is no seaport town."

What a mix of madness and reason. He swallows her tale of giants and prophecies without a blink but waffles at her choice of town?

"I have found it so," answered Sancho; "and so, in me, the desire of talking is always a first motion, and I cannot forbear uttering, for once at least, whatever comes to my tongue's end."

Brainless buffoon

"There is another thing remarkable in it," said the priest, "which is, that, setting aside the follies this honest gentleman utters in everything relating to his madness, he can discourse very sensibly upon other points, and seems to have a clear and settled judgement in all things;"...

Glad Cervantes brings this up even while not answering it.  And my goodness, does he like to use commas.

Chapter 31

In which Sancho and Quixote talk about Sancho's rewards, as Sancho sees the subject. Also, one of those that Quixote has "helped" in former chapters meets him, remonstrates against him and begs him to leave well enough alone.

...will you let slip so considerable a match as this, when the dowry is a kingdom, which I have heard say, is above twenty thousand leagues in circumference,...

Now Sancho is just making things up because he is greedy!

"I have heard it preached," quoth Sancho, "that God is to be loved with this kind of love, for Himself alone, without our being moved to it by the hope of reward, or the fear of punishment: though for my part, I am inclined to love and serve Him for what He is able to do for me."

Just when I thought Sancho couldn't sink any lower.  And this is how the majority of the world views God, ugh. What dull, fallen, humanity.

[Andres] "And your worship is in the fault of all this; for had you gone on your way, and not come where you was not called, nor meddled with other folk's business..."

The lament, no doubt, to be voiced again and again through the book.

Chapter 32

In which the group stops at an inn, previously used by Quixote and Sancho. Said innkeeper thinks his books of chivalry are books of fact and no amount of arguing can convince him otherwise. He brings one out to read to the company.

The seemingly usual position of Quixote and Sancho. Upended ass over teakettle.