Maidens to Rescue, Villains to be Confounded & Wrongs to be Righted!

Don Quixote de la Mancha (Oxford World's Classics) - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Charles Jarvis, E.C. Riley

OR:

I've read the Introduction & Author's Preface of Don Quixote.

The Introduction

The introduction was by some "guy" named E.C. Riley. Seems like the kind of person who would want to write an introduction to this book so he'd get the chance to get in some jabs at genre fiction. Being dismissive of Tolkien doesn't cut it for this reader.

I penciled in under Introduction

mainly mental poo.

The other thing that stood out to me was the mention of Don Quixote being an anti-hero, since this is supposed to be a parody of the romantic medieval ballads/stories of the time. Suck on that Michael Moorcock, and all you other johnny come lately grim dark posers. You're a couple of hundred years too late!

Author's Preface

Cervantes writes:

You are neither his kinsman nor his friend...

...all which exempts and frees you from every regard and obligation; and therefore you may say of this history whatever you think fit, without fear of being calumniated for the evil, or rewarded for the good you shall say of it.

Penciled in the margins: "the origins of the reviewers rights".

The preface was one full of comedic self-aggrandizement while at the same time being most humble. I think I might have liked Cervantes.