True Warriors Seek Out Strong Foes (Eyeshield 21 #8) (Manga Monday)

Eyeshield 21, Vol. 8: True Warriors Seek Out Strong Foes - Riichiro Inagaki, Yusuke Murata

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes. blogspot.wordpress.com by  Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: True Warriors Seek Out Strong Foes

Genre: Manga

Pages: 208

Format: Digital Scan

Synopsis:

Japan versus America in a game of American Football. Can the Devil Bats even hope to compete against a team that is made up of some of the toughest Americans out there? It is American Brute Force and Power versus Japanese strategy and speed.

But when Panther enters the game, can Sena up his game against a fresh opponent who isn't intimidated by Eyeshield 21's speed? In fact, can Sena keep up with Panther?

My Thoughts:

Another GREAT volume. This had my adrenaline up and running even as I sat on the couch and just read this volume. That is good story telling.

There was a lot of back and forth between strategies, point scoring, etc during this one. It wasn't one team dominating or the other pulling sneaky tricks to edge by by 1 point. This was all out war and the tides of fortune rose and fell appropriately.

I did have to roll my eyes at the coach's back story. It explained a lot but my goodness, it just showed him for the shallow guy he was. And his little "connecting" moment with Panther's desire to play had me groaning. However, the little montage with him getting kicked off the "46'ers" made me laugh, mainly because it was the "46'ers" instead of the 49er's. Just one of those things that strikes you funny at the right moment.

Hiruma is a freaking genius. I know that he is the quarterback but he's competing with the coach of the Alien's and coming out ahead. Coach and QB and doing a good job at both at the same time.  I really hope that his character is given more serious attention in future volumes. He might be providing a lot of comic relief but there is a good amount of depth to be explored.

I do continue to be disappointed by Mamori's lack of a role. Even as a potential love interest. She shows up and is shown in various panels, but that is it. I sure do hope she takes a bigger role by the end of the series.