Emissary (Legends of the Realm #1)

Emissary - Thomas Locke

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes. blogspot.wordpress.com by  Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: Emissary

Series: Legends of the Realm

Author: Thomas Locke

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 401

Format: Kindle digital edition

Synopsis:

Hyam, former mage apprentice and current farmer, is cast out of his village when it becomes obvious that he has a power that hasn't been seen in the land for years. Somehow he must get a group together to overthrow the bad wizard and the bad king and save the land. All while bitter about life. Boohoo...

My Thoughts:

Some story tellers can weave their tale in such a way that you become part of the story. They are skillful artists, able to use words like food ingredients in a complicated and tasty recipe. Other story tellers can tell a story in such a way that you can picture what they are telling you. Finally, you have those who just tell a story without much skill and you kind of drag along for the ride.

Sadly, this was an example of the latter. It was a decent story, it just wasn't that skillfully told.  In the right hands, it could have been a pretty good story. In many ways it reminded me of the Belgariad by Eddings.

I will not be reading the sequel. This just isn't good enough for me to spend more time on.