Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company #7) 3...

Bleak Seasons - Glen Cook

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: Bleak Seasons

Series: The Chronicles of the Black Company

Author: Glen Cook

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 317

Format: Kindle Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Taking place mostly concurrently with the previous book, Dreams of Steel, we follow Murgen, the standardbearer, as he tries to keep the Old Crew alive in the besieged town. All the while he is having spells that throw him into the past and into the future but he can never remember anything from them.

My Thoughts:

This was confusing as all get out. While Cook has the writing skills to pull it off, I still didn't like it. Going from present to past to future to simply 'now' [which might be any of the 3] made for a very distracting read.

While I liked Murgen, I am not so much a fan of what Croaker, now the Captain, is becoming. Which is Cook's goal I believe. Can't have anyone becoming too heroic and hence possibly be a hero. Heaven forbid.

I am invested enough in the series that a book like this doesn't throw me off but I have to admit, I am sick to death of books that try to yank my chain in one way or another.