Book Tag - How I read

Moonlight Library brought this to my attention earlier this week and I thought it was very interesting, but didn't have time during the week. So now that I am done work and I am still not posting reviews until a certain bug is assuredly gone, I thought this would make for a good post.

How do you find out about new books to read?

I keep an eye on a list of "automatically read" authors for their new books. I also browse several sites that list books by genre and stick to the SFF ones. Of course, I have to wade through a ton of muck and "cross genre" books desperately trying to get some attention [pathetic and needy losers], but I usually find enough to keep me happy.

I also use my local library. A Lot.

How did you get into reading?

I can remember my mom reading the Little House on the Prairie series to me before I could read. I know she read other stuff to me as well.  I also remember the Bookmobile making weekly visits to our apartment complex and just loving all the picture books. Once I learned to read in first grade [nope, not a self-taught genius here. That would be my cousin :-)] I literally took off.

How have your tastes in books changed as you got older?

I am not willing to put up with crap anymore. SFF books used to be relatively scarce [our local library had 2 shelves of SFF that were only 5ft long. So maybe 40-60 books, plus one half of those spinny rack things that held the paperbacks] but now, it is so prevalent that I can afford to be choosy.

How often do you buy books?

A couple of times a year. Mostly at Christmas and then my birthday. I'll save up and buy the books I really want in hardcover.

How did you get into reviewing books?

Back in 2000 I realized that I simply did not have the capacity to remember every book I had read and that eventually I would end up wasting time rereading books I didn't want to. I started a paper journal and just noted the date, the title, the author and sometimes the genre.

When my group of friends and I discovered online blogging, I created a separate blog for my record keeping. My hand writing was atrocious, the paper note book was starting to fall apart and I had realized that I simply did not have the capacity to remember what every book I read was about. Hence I would have an entry saying that I read Book X on such and such a date, but I had no idea what it was about or what I thought of it. Typing was so much easier than writing that I began to note a brief synopsis so at least I could see what the book was about.

In 2007 I was introduced to ********* [also known as Goodreads]. That was when I began to write what I thought of a book. It is amazing how suddenly important it was to create a review that others would read.

How do you react when you don’t like the end of a book?

Usually my first reaction is to press the row of Red Buttons that would send nuclear missiles all over the world. When I remember that I don't HAVE a row of Red Buttons, I usually respond with anger [it RUINED the book!], apathy [Eh, it wasn't a very good story anyway] or stoicism [it was a good book and I shall IGNORE that ending].

How often do you take a sneak peek at the ending to see if there is a happy ending?

Never! I am along for the full ride, not just the ending.

Do you use bookmarks in your books?

In my paper books, absolutely. Since I am usually reading 2-3 books overlappingly [and no, that is not a real word that I am aware of], there is no way I can remember which page of which book I am on at any given moment. Anything can be pressed into service for bookmarks however. Napkins, playing cards, magic:the gathering cards, spoons [as long as they are clean and not the one I just used to eat with] and even other books.

Attractive Business Man says "Reading Is Manly!"