47 Ronin (Movie)

47 Ronin (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet) - Pamela Abdy, Eric McLeod, Chris Morgan, Hossein Amini

Title: 47 Ronin

Format: Bluray

Length: 119 minutes

Rated: PG-13

My Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

Synopsis:

Half-breed hero leads a group of disgraced Samurai [known as Ronin, hence the title] against the lord that plotted and executed the downfall of their lord.

My Thoughts:

I borrowed the 47 Ronin from the library the other day as my sister really talked it up. I'd had it on my Amazon wishlist for quite some time and wanted to watch it before committing to it. I've made several bad buys in the last couple of years due to thinking some movie was awesome before watching it and I didn't want to repeat that.

I'd also like to thank Brian Martin, known as Stream here on Booklikes for reviewing movies. I find them a nice enjoyable break. It also allows Booklikes to be a much broader blogging platform for me than some of the other social book sites. And running my mouth off online is VERY important to me :-)

I enjoyed this, but not enough to buy it. I'm familiar with the basic story but this movie added some fantasy elements from Japanese lore. I found those elements to fit right in to the story and to make it much more of a "tale" than a "story".  Lots of sword fighting, which is always good in my book.

My biggest complaint [not the ending, as I'm very much aware of ritual seppuku and the honor that it was to samurai] was Keanu Reeves. He was totally emotionless. You can emote while still being stoic, as evinced by most of the other actors. But he was just a wooden log that fought like a demon.

I'll probably watch this again, just to be sure of my initial reaction but overall, this didn't live up to my expectations. And that is why I don't watch a lot of tv or movies, they just disappoint me on a regular basis.

Something good that did come from this is that now I want to read the actual story this was based on. Found this one here on Booklikes, The 47 Ronin Story, but if any of you have read a version that you recommend, let me know!